As the spirit of the new Harlem Renaisssance is in the air it is so fitting that the Apollo would host a Revival! Harlem was home to New York’s hottest clubs in the 30’s and 40’s, where the music of Billie, Ella, Dinah, Sarah, Duke and Dizzy became legend. Sultry, sexy crooners, dazzling dancers, and swingin’ big bands served-up a potent mix of high-class hi-jinks and entertainment. Now the glamour, electricity and elegance of the Harlem Club environment is back in an all-new, nightclub-style show, staged as only the world-famous Apollo Theater could do it.
Host Maurice Hines will have you fingers snapping throughout as a stunning roster of top contemporary talent takes to the stage:
- -Three-time Grammy Award-winning vocalist Dee Dee Bridgewater flaunts her flawless technique and Tony-Award winning theatricality;
- - Rising-star Cécile McLorin Salvant offers sumptuous and sensual vocal interpretations from the great American songbook. Dormeshia, the greatest female tap dancer alive, spits out complex rhythms a mile a minute;
- - Storyboard P, a 21st century reincarnation of the notorious Snakehips, displays untapped genius in a dance style that is pure poetry in motion;
- - David Berger, an internationally renowned expert on the music of Duke Ellington and the Swing Era, provides the show’s musical direction, and accomplished conductor Daryl Waters leads a 16-piece Jazz orchestra through an exhilarating barrage of hits including Fine and Mellow, One O’Clock Jump, Drop Me Off in Harlem and Paper Moon; and
- - Broadway veteran Emilio Sosa and master designer Burke Wilmore make the evening shimmer and shine with gorgeous costumes and exquisite lighting.
Promises to be a transporting experience. Jazz age attire is encouraged! For a night on the town in February, who could ask for anything more?
Shows will be held Monday, February 18 Friday, February 22 and Saturday, February 23 at 8:30p.m. Ticket prices range from $45 to $125. Tickets can be purchased in person at the Box Office or by calling (800) 745-3000 as well as online at Ticketmaster.com.
Enjoy the vibe!